
Well it's been a good week so far! Yesterday was especially good. I've been praying for patience with sweet Tristan and yesterday was a much better day because of it. We have started doing time out's a little differently which seem to be much more effective. (We started making him stand with his head against the wall for a minute but he decided that was more of a game so now we have to physically hold him in our laps for a minute facing the wall. He has decided this is NOT FUN and now when we ask him if he wants a time out he said "NO!" (instead of yes!)). Also, I started playing hide and seek with Pierce and Tristan. T will hide under the table or behind the drapes and I'll say "Pierce! Where did Tristan go? I don't know!" and we'll talk about all the places he could be until we finally find him. Tristan LOVES this game! Sometimes he'll go behind the drapes and if I don't see him do it he'll say "Pierce - where did T-T go? I don't know!" He also likes to tickle Pierce's toes and we talk about how much Pierce likes this, how it makes him laugh, and how much he wants to be just like his great big brother. I have high hopes...! Are we on the uphill now??
Yesterday morning we had a playdate with a group of girls from church. This is my second time to meet with them - they meet once a week. I really like them a lot. I desperately miss my playdate friends from Denver!! It helps to feel included a bit in a group here. I felt more like I was intruding on their playdate the first time but felt better about being there yesterday. Not because they weren't all wonderful, super friendly girls - just because it takes time to get to know people.Anyway, Tristan played really, really well with all the kids and was an absolute angel. He listened well and shared well too. And he only threw a minor fit when it was time to go. What a good boy! Then yesterday afternoon a man came by with a Bobcat and dug some holes in our back yard for the deck that Mark is going to build. MAN OH MAN Tristan was in HEAVEN! He watched that truck for an hour and had a great time!
Then last night we had a couple over from church for dinner with their 2 girls (who are 2 1/2 and 3 months old). Tristan and Kirin play SO WELL together, even though she's older. It's so cute! They held hands and said grace before dinner and they always hug when they see each other :) I really like the parents too - Megen and Rich. (The playdate I talked about earlier was at Megen's house.) Megen has really reached out to me and Rich to Mark. They were in the Navy and keep telling us they understand what it's like to be the "new guys" because they moved so many times. They have been a real blessing to us!
Then last night we had a couple over from church for dinner with their 2 girls (who are 2 1/2 and 3 months old). Tristan and Kirin play SO WELL together, even though she's older. It's so cute! They held hands and said grace before dinner and they always hug when they see each other :) I really like the parents too - Megen and Rich. (The playdate I talked about earlier was at Megen's house.) Megen has really reached out to me and Rich to Mark. They were in the Navy and keep telling us they understand what it's like to be the "new guys" because they moved so many times. They have been a real blessing to us!
Well, the downside to all of this is that Tristan was having so much fun playing last night that he didn't go to bed until 8:00!!! (He has been going to bed around 6:30/ 7:00.) Unfortunately, he STILL woke up at 5:30 this morning - ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And then he didn't go back to bed!!! The pediatrician said that this early waking (which has been going on for about a month now) could be attributed to any one of the number of changes poor T has gone through in the last month or so - extended stay in the hotel, move to a new house, new baby, etc. and it just has to work itself out. Well, we may have to help it along tomorrow. I think we're going to have to let him cry a little tomorrow morning - We've tried everything else and nothing seems to work!! (Earlier bedtime, later bedtime, earlier naptime, later naptime, talking with him in the morning, letting him watch TV in the morning in hopes of his nodding off, giving him a book to entertain himself with - ) ANYWAY - I'll keep y'all posted :)
But that's why the long blog post today - Tristan is taking an early nap - Hallelujah! Let's hope he wakes up a happier camper....
Oh and I wanted to post about the boys' appointments on Monday. T had his 2 year appt. and Pierce had his 1 month appt. Both boys are doing great.
Tristan weighs 31 pounds and is in the 75th % for weight and the 50th % for height. The doctor said he guesses that T will be around 5'7", slightly shorter than average but not as short as me or Mark. He had to get a finger prick to check his iron level (which was great) and he didn't even make a peep. Such a brave boy! He was a very good boy the entire appointment, which lasted a good hour. I was so proud!

Pierce is doing well and is tracking right where he should be in the 25-50th %. This morning he weighed 9 lbs. 10 1/2 oz. The doctor said he should be gaining about 1/2 oz. a day now so I'm carefully monitoring that to make sure he's getting enough to eat. He had to get a Hep B shot but he only cried for a second before settling right back down. Still - it was so sad!!!

Anyway, that's all the news I have! Sorry for the super long blog but I thought I'd take the opportunity while I had it!! Hope you are all doing well :)
2 comments:
Well, Jenny, your Denver playdate group TOTALLY misses you too! And I know what you mean about it 'taking time' to get to know people--I went to a women's book club via our church last week and came home crying. Matt said, "WHAT'S WRONG?!?!?!" I sobbed, "It's just that I miss our house church group and the connections we made with those people so much and hate trying to start over." Anyway, you and Mark are so personable and likeable--I know you will feel right at home before you know it! :)
Love,
Jen
So glad things are smoothing out at the McHam household. Once P can sit up and play, him and T will be great buddies. Expect a package in the next week or so...
Post a Comment