Monday, July 28, 2008

The Butterfly Effect

So this weekend we watched Atonement. I picked it out because I was ready for a romance or a drama or anything really that wasn't sad, depressing, or serial killerish. I was unsuccessful - it was SO SAD! But it was awesome. And it made me think. Here is the official written preview on Netflix (so I don't give anything away):

In this drama based on the critically acclaimed novel by Ian McEwan, a childhood lie irrevocably changes the lives of several people forever. When 13-year-old Briony Tallis (Saoirse Ronan) misinterprets a moment of flirtation between her older sister Cecilia (Keira Knightley) and a servant's son, Robbie Turner (James McAvoy), her confusion causes her to finger Robbie as the perpetrator of a crime.

This one little girl's actions changes these people's lives forever. And it changes from what looks like a fairy tale love story into a hugely depressing tear jerker. Something she can't do a thing about when she's old enough to know better.

Then in church on Sunday the pastor spoke about Abraham. Hard topic to cram into a 20 minute sermon but he touched on a few interesting issues. Like, for example, when Abraham had an affair with Hagar. When God told him he would have children he took matters into his own hands, thinking his own wife was too old. Abraham and Hagar had a son named Ishmael who, 4,000 years later, became a direct descendant of Islam, which is still warring with Judaism today.

So here is the deep thought: What are we doing today that will impact things tomorrow...?

And finally, because it wouldn't really be a proper blog post without pictures and fun kid stories, I'll quit rambling about it and get to the "good stuff."

On Friday we hit the Museum of Transportation with Elizabeth and Gracie Rose. The kids loved it - Tristan is still talking about it! Here are a few pictures:

2 comments:

The Armstrong's said...

Cute pic of the kiddos holding hands. FYI, I'm fixin' to order my blog book, it looks pretty neat. I will let you know how it turns out.

Honeycutt Family said...

Great question to think about, Jen...