Friday, May 1, 2009

Go Hogs

T helping us load up the car

The boys playing in the sandbox before we took off

A park at our halfway stop on the road trip here. We got to feed some ducks!

We have now been official Arkansas residents for five days and so far, so good. I've found the local grocery store, Target, Super Wal-Mart, parks, preschools, post office, library, zoo, and museums.

Mark is really enjoying his job so far. He works in a beautiful place right on the river. He is super excited about the team he's working with and his days have been packed with (mostly) good news.

The kids are doing GREAT. We couldn't be more proud! There is a grassy area right across from our apartment with lots of giant bushes, trees, and MUD. The perfect afternoon playplace for two busy boys. We have had lots of fun learning about roly polies, worms, snails, and ants, and we like to play hide and seek and buried pirate treasure!

Playing dinos in our new apartment

They've also enjoying discovering the apartment. The cabinets are a free for all and they boys really love pulling out every single pot and pan and making loud, "joyful noise" and making "yummy toy pies." Luckily, "fully furnished" really means "THE BARE ESSENTIALS" so when I say *every single pot and pan* I'm really only talking about four. The OCD in me had a really hard time with this but I finally let go of it yesterday and everyone has been much happier! And besides, it only really becomes a problem when Chaos's dog food and water bowls get mixed in with everything. Then it all needs to be washed!

I've been trying to research preschools in the area. We were so spoiled with our school in Roanoke and I'd love to find something like that again. Unfortunately, the two schools I've looked at so far are two to four times the cost per month! So... on with the search. Who had any idea montessori schools were so expensive? Nearly $400 a month? For preschool? Seriously? I've heard great things about them but we may be sticking with the regular old preschool program for now at the blue special price of $175 a month. This still seems really expensive to me! But can you put a price on your child's education??? Then again, is it even considered education when you're THREE???

Nana sent us a care package in the mail loaded with Batman, Superman, and Spiderman paraphernalia! I'm so excited I can hardly wait for the boys to wake up so we can try everything on! They are going to FLIP! Until now we've been getting creative with our capes. Backwards bibs make great capes. If you start singing the Superman theme song, Pierce puts his arms in the air like he's going to fly! Unfortunately, they do not have Batman or Superman logos on them. Thank you Nana!!
Well, duty calls - Pierce is awake! I'll write more soon and I'll be sure to include some super hero cape pictures!!!! :)

3 comments:

Tracy Robinson said...

hey, those prices actually sound pretty cheap to me. way less than i pay for kaylee to go 2 days a week. hmmm, maybe i am getting ripped off.

love your little super heroes!! can't wait to get my camera on those eyes of pierce next week... is it me, or does he look like he is always wearing mascara and eyeliner? NO FAIR!!!

Elizabeth said...

Hey friend! Great to see your post....are those prices for preschool like Bonsack (2 days/week 9-11:30) or are they like the other school I sent Gracie to (how bad does that sounds that I send my child to 2 different schools? Poor kid) Yikes....(B/c G's other school is even more/month...ugh...)Because, WOAH, if it's just 2-3 days a week for 1/2 days I say WOWZA. Open your own daggone preschool. hee.. Just as a side note, if they are the church ones (or I guess any of them), check and see if any of them have "summer camp" style things...that way, you can check 'em out! Miss you tons...it's going to be a different summer 'round here! Love love!

Jen said...

Oh, Jen. I had to laugh at your mention of daycare costs. I hate to even admit this - it sounds like we are idiots - but we pay $470 a WEEK for daycare for the two kids (all day, 5 days a week, of course). I know, its absolutely INSANE... college tuition for an infant and 3 year old.

The only thing that keeps me from screaming is the fact that it is a good school (and tuition is pretty much on par with the other schools around here). Addison just moved up to the 3 year old class, and is currently learning math, music, art, computers and spanish. She loves it and often surprises me with the things she knows.

LOVE the superman costumes!