Parenting comes with it's share of... humbling moments.
There are the obvious ones that you try to prepare yourself for. The growing to the size of a beached whale and seeing numbers on the scale you'd never dreamed of. The absolute lack of humility you endure during the entire birthing process. And don't even get me started on the lactation consultants.
There are the less obvious moments that you laugh about at the time, knowing how silly they are and how they'll be even funnier when you're more removed from the situation. Like when I went through half a day with my underwear on inside out and backwards. I realized around lunchtime. Awesome.
Then there are the moments when you want to drop dead right there and never speak of it again.
For some reason these moments always happen to me in Target. (Mark says it's because I always happen to BE in Target. He brings a valid argument.)
Today (in Target), Pierce pointed at a Muslim lady and said, "That sure is a funny lookin' outfit." Ok - OBVIOUSLY this is not a PC statement. I try to teach my kids that God made us all special and unique and exactly the way we're supposed to be. It's not polite to point and tease. But, in his defense, he wasn't pointing or teasing, just making an observation.
The Catholics say there is an age of reason - seven - when you're magically supposed to be able to be accountable for your actions. Does that mean that my kids will wake up one day and know not to say things like this? And does it work that way even if you're not Catholic?
As mortified as I was by P's statement this morning, it was a huge improvement from the last time he embarassed me in Target. A nice, young African American girl was checking us out that day. She had gorgeous dreads - the kind us white girls envy. Pierce looked at her sideways and I knew something was coming. Then he pointed (why the POINTING???) and started chanting, "Worms in your hair! Worms in your hair!" Aaaaaaah! To make matters worse, the man behind us told the girl (in clear earshot of me!), "Sorry. Kids can be so insensitive. I have a glass eye and I get it all the time." Sheesh! I apologized to the girl, told her how awesome her hair actually is, and left wondering if I was more embarassed by Pierce or Mr. Glass Eye.
And I can't forget the time Tristan pointed out a cross-gender person in... of course... Target, when he was about P's age. He POINTED (of course) straight at this person and said, "Mommy. Is that person a boy or a girl?" Oy. First of all, I couldn't tell, and secondly - What do you say anyway? Even if you can tell? You can't chastise them for being curious.
And so there you have it! If you think the mortification will end when you stop leaking out of your various orifices you are sorely mistaken. These kids keep us constantly entertained - Which, I must say, also keeps us laughing... Most days!!!
2 comments:
OMG so stinkin' funny. I'm still laughing.
i still laugh out loud at the "worms in the hair". even as i type it i laugh. because it was not me!!!
Post a Comment