Saturday, July 7, 2012

Days 5 & 6


Day 5 (blogged by Mark):

Yesterday was our last day at Colonia Maya.  (*I think Jenny had previously posted Communite’ Maya.)  The day was hot and humid as usual, but we arrived to the same welcoming chant from the excited children. While I know there was a ton of work that went into the activities that VBS was comprised of, the children are just children and can’t possibly appreciate the work. Their excitement and love came from not what we had done for them , but simply because of who we are to them… sound a little familiar? There is nothing we can possibly do to earn God’s love, but He loves us simply because of who He is!

VBS rocked.  The teaching went great and all of the pastors and leaders that attended my class were very excited about what they had been learning this week. I am excited to see what God has started this week that will change the face of the Santa Lucia Christian community.

I was able to walk out of the compound and see the local soccer fields/ dump. We also saw the river where the locals have carved out an area with rocks to form a swimming pool. And finally the Mayan ruins on the top of the hill. It was a little surreal, as you walk up a hill, and when you get to the top realize you have been walking up the vegetation that has overgrown a Mayan temple. Even more surreal  was the fresh candle wax that had melted over a rock from a ceremony the night before and the charred black top of a sacrificial stone table where the locals, even today, practice sacrifices on the full moon. I was saddened to think about it because at previous Mayan Temples Jenny and I had visited, it seemed like a very ancient religion, one that no longer existed. But in Santa Lucia, it is as real as it ever was. It made me think about Elijah, where he challenges the worshippers of Baal and asks them to have their gods bring fire to an altar. He mocks and shouts at them – “Maybe you need to shout louder! Maybe your god is sleeping, deep in thought or busy travelling!” Such is all gods that are not the God. I was saddened and wondered why God had not destroyed this temple as he has others. Why He has not sent fire from the sky. And then I realized that our God is so big, that not only could He send fire from the sky if He chose, but he could also bury a temple of worthless rocks under roots, grass and dirt over a thousand years…

Jenny had a great experience taking photos in the town, complete with seven men to make sure she was safe walking around town, including our buddy Emerson donning a machete in his belt. She felt like a Pulitzer Prize winner and took some shots that just might get her one!  While the church compound seemed like a hard life – outdoor kitchen, metal roofs, no air conditioning  - it is actually the nicest place in the neighborhood.  A humbling and amazing experience.

Jim had taught the local choir team Amazing Grace in English.  The sound of his guitar and a very excited church drew people from outside the church, climbing the fence to get a look in the window. One young lady on the fence caught my eye and I prayed for her – that she might decide to come into the church one day. I wonder if she even knows she would be welcomed and loved on…

The best part of the day – and probably the week – for me were the goodbyes that evening. We have spent less than four days with these people and cannot speak each other’s languages but there were hugs, tears, and names written in Bibles, demonstrating a love and connection that only God can provide. Ann blessed me when she stated that goodbyes were never intended. That the fall was the reason for any goodbyes, disconnected relationships, and tears – that is why they are so hard – they were never intended to be. I stood and watched as Jenny and Angelica clung to each other, both in tears. That was as special as it can possible get for me…

Day 6:

Two very important things about Day 5 for me.  One being that a dream was realized for me!  For nearly two years I have been hoping and praying for an opportunity to be the dedicated photographer for a mission trip.  I wasn't sure how real this dream would be here, if it would be a casual thing or more established.  It couldn't have been more perfect.  I have had free reign all week.

Today I desperately wanted to leave the church compound and photograph the community.  I was told it was too dangerous for a white woman to go out alone.  Men started talking in quick Spanish and I realized they were discussing whether it would be safe at all, considering it is the day of the full moon and the Mayans would be doing their sacrifices just down the street.  What???  This still happens??  Truth, people.  Finally, a group of SEVEN MEN (and one very large machete) accompanied me and one other lady from our group.  It was incredible.  Most of the people in the community were absolutely thrilled to have their picture taken.  Some ducked behind doors or windows, back into the shadows.  Honestly, I felt completely safe.  When we got back to the compound I was told that the men didn't want to go at all but didn't want to disappoint or offend me.  Is this life even real?  People live like this, in so much fear?  I have lived such a sheltered, blessed life.













Mark blogged yesterday about my new amiga Angelica.  We met the first day and she became very special to me.  She quickly learned that I knew *very little* Spanish so she brought out her books and started going through them with me, taking time and patience to make sure I got every syllable right.  She brought me around the compound and introduced me to everyone including her mom that worked in the kitchen.  Angelica is seven.  I don’t think it’s a coincidence that her name means angel.  I truly believe God placed us together.  I developed an affection for this sweet girl in just four days that I can not begin to explain.  We would seek each other out throughout the week for a quick hug or “Uno mas foto!” 

I wasn’t sure if Angelica felt the same way as me.  I love this little girl – This little seven year old girl that I have now known for four days.  But I was reserved.  I tried not to get too attached, knowing we would be leaving soon. 

Our original plan was to go back to the community the following day but, as often happens in Guatemalan culture, plans changed.  After church service I heard news that it was time to say our good byes as we would not be coming back.  I immediately scanned for Angelica.  I wondered if she knew we weren’t coming back and if she was looking for me.  I had such a mixture of emotions – It was silly, right??  Having such strong feelings for this little girl that I could hardly communicate with?  I didn’t care.  I suddenly spotted her running across the square with her mom, eyes searching.  I knew she was looking for me.  She ran to me and grabbed hold and didn’t let go.  I started crying and realized she was crying too.  It was real, this weird connection that had happened in just four days.  We couldn’t communicate with words but we could communicate with something much stronger – our spiritual love that comes from Jesus Christ.  I knew in that moment that there was no question whether I would be back in Guatemala.  Angelica assured that I would be back. 



Today we headed for Antigua for some tourist time.  I had very mixed emotions.  I found myself wondering why we couldn’t spend just one more day at the community.  Mark reminded me it was Saturday and the children wouldn’t even be at the school.  I cried off and on until we reached Antigua.

Antigua, as it turns out, is quite a place.  We ate at a locally famous restaurant and noticed pictures of Bill Clinton and Ricky Martin shaking hands with the owners.  The food was AMAZING.  The local market proved to be just as interesting and we (ok just me) bought LOADS of stuff that I have no idea how we will transport home.  Ah well J  I’m sure it will all work out!









We are now back in Guatemala City at the Mission House and will attend Daniel’s church in the morning.  Too many emotions at the moment and will definitely need time to process all that we have experienced!  But for now, look out – I will be recruiting each and every one of you to come back with us next year!  

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I so wish the timing was different and I could have met you down there and introduced you to the women we are working with!!! You would love it. So glad your heart is touched and proud of all the work you are doing. Good job, guys! Can't wait to see the photos