Wellllll.... Here is the latest.
The pediatrician called the GI doctor and the earliest appointment they had was June 11th...!!! They finished the sentence with "...unless it's reallllllllllly bad." I thought I was going to swallow my tongue. What do they consider "really bad" ?? Does THEIR child sleep uninterrupted without constant pain? I told them exactly what I thought of June 11th and she quickly decided she should try another strategy. Within a few hours she'd called back and now we have an upper GI scheduled for next Wednesday at 8 AM. Has anyone out there been through this? If so, what should I expect? What do they do? What will it show? And if any of you have any suggestions or tips or advice about your own reflux experience, please, please, please share!
Except for that one glorious night of sleep (which for all I can tell was a total freak accident) we've only had a handful of decent nights where we might get a 3 or 4 hour stretch. That means our sweet little baby isn't sleeping either. He's such a happy, happy boy and it absolutely breaks my heart to see him uncomfortable, tired, and hungry but unable to eat. I feel completely helpless and it's not a good feeling to have when your baby is hurting. Mark put it in perspective the other night - There are definitely worse things and we should be so thankful that he's so healthy and only has a little reflux problem but it's - still - hard.
Anyway - that's all for now. Would love to hear from any of you that have been through this before. Thanks guys - will keep y'all posted.
Oh PS - We have since stopped the solid food train. I figured until we get this all sorted out, the less variables we have, the better.
5 comments:
Yes, been there, done that. The upper GI is nothing to worry about. All they do is image the GI track as Pierce drinks a bottle of white stuff (dye). It's actually kind of cool. You should be in there with him to help keep him still and relaxed, so you'll get to watch the screen as the liquid travels down his throat and into his stomach. They will probably wait awhile to see if the liquid comes back up through the valve at the top of his stomach - if it does, you have reflux.
Addie was an angel - as far as she was concerned, she was just having her morning bottle... no big deal. I hope Pierce takes to it as easily.
I know how hard it is when you know your kid is in pain, but there's not much you can do about it. Addie was born with a broken collar bone and terrible reflux that lasted more than a year. I was upset until I realized that babies are very resilient, they don't remember anything at that age, and there are DEFINITELY much worse things that can happen.
Hang in there, it will all work itself out eventually.
I have no tips or advice to offer, as we haven't had to deal with this before, but I just wanted to say good luck. We'll be thinking good thoughts for you guys!
I'm glad that they are going to get it done quickly. I hope that they can find a solution that will help all of you to get more sleep. Jen was right on with what to expect for the procedure.
JB
yeah, been there as well. jude's test came back "inconclusive". UGH. anyways... the good news is that he outgrew the reflux or whatever it was by about 4 months and was a much more pleasant little guy!
Hey! I stumbled upon your blog because I am linked to the Robinsons blog. My husband Mark and I went to highschool with everyone. We are having the same exact issues with our three month old. He had the upper GI done a few weeks ago and does have reflux. It has been a constant struggle since the second week of his life. We are now on Prevacid and having some better days. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any thoughts, questions or concerns. I would be happy to share. I know what a struggle it is. Take care!
Post a Comment