Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Yo Mama
Hello all you fellow mommies! Isn't it nice to feel needed?? I need your help! We have gotten into a food RUT. We are trying to save money (isn't everybody?) and with four people in the house, each with different eating preferences, we have gotten stuck on the same few lunches and dinners. Tristan insists on eating peanut butter and jelly every single day for lunch. We try to mix it up a bit - Sometimes we eat it with applesauce, sometimes we eat it with a banana, sometimes we get crazy and break out the animal cookies. But if I have to eat another peanut butter and jelly sandwich I think I'm going to scream! I put my foot down some days and insist on our #2 favorite: Black bean tortilla roll-ups. If I put a little sour cream on there he'll eat it without too much complaining but now he's started pouring his milk in with the sour cream. Hmm. Same color maybe? Anyhoo. So what are your go-to lunches? What do you do that's easy, fast, and inexpensive? Thanks guys in advance!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
i usually just throw turkey slices and carrots at my kids so i can read everyone's blog and facebook...
we do a lot of tuna, chicken, and egg salad sandwiches, we put the salads on saltines too. kennedy also really loves breakfast foods for lunch/dinner. another favorite is torts w/p-nut butter and bananas, and we make homemade pizza's(hamburger bun(1 bun makes 2 and you can freeze buns) w/ marinara sauce, and shredded cheese). stick in the oven for just a few to warm/melt(k loves to look in the over window and watch the chz. melt;)
oops....oven:)
I do quesadillas ALL the time. Brooke likes them cuz their cheesy and I can hide all kinds of stuff in there. I started out just making them with chicken (you can cook a lot of chicken ahead of time, dice it and freeze it) and cheese (to get her to eat them) them started adding stuff as she became less aware. ;) Other than that, we do chicken nuggets a lot (with ranch), but I can put out fresh carrots with it for dipping. She also loves corndogs (another frozen one). Sometimes, I'll do an omelet wtih eggs, ham and cheese. Do you have a George Foreman? I use that for everything! Oh..and sometimes I'll just do an arrangement of a fruits and veggies (granted, the veggies are a bit less attractive, but I put them out anyway) - grapes, apples, carrot sticks, broccoli (both with ranch), bananas - and then that is her lunch. Hope something I said helps! Good luck!
Samuel eats a lot of plain jelly sandwiches (b/c he's allergic to peanut butter), bagels, chicken nuggets, cheese, and he loves to dip things in either ketchup or sour cream. One thing I found that works well is to serve him his lunch in a muffin tin every once in awhile. He's more likely to eat stuff if there is one container of grapes, one of popcorn, etc...
Ah, meal time... my least favorite time of day.
Our pediatrician told us that 2-3 year olds eat just enough to sustain a small bird. That's Addie most days. We try everything to get her to eat. Dinner time is the worst - it often takes her an hour or more to eat the amount of food that fits in the palm of her hand. I'm beginning to think we're just trying too hard...
I don't have any great suggestions (so why am I leaving this comment?). For lunches, she eats a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches (I try hiding meat in the sandwich, but the little stinker always takes it out), hotdogs (yeah, I know, but at least it's protein), any type of fruit or cheese, and a few veggies (she loves tomatoes, especially grape or cherry tomatoes).
Like the rest of you, I try to feed my child a healthy and balanced diet, but its just hard with a 2 year old. My goal is to stop stressing over it. She'll eat when she's hungry. It's my job to make sure that there are a few healthy options for her when she does decide to eat.
I usually offer 3-4 different things at a time. Once she gets the ball rolling eating one of the items, she'll usually continue to eat the rest of the food without too much complaint.
Tracy's comment is hysterical. And, you know us, I'd be glad if G Rose would even dig a PB&J. The quesadillas sound tasty. I keep checking back on your comments for good ideas too! =)
Micah loves homemade lunchables, PB & honey sandwiches, grapes or apples, he loves baby carrots and ranch, frozen gogurts. I've found that he'll eat just about anything if it is cute up in a fun way, served with something fun to dip in, or bribing with chocolate milk always helps too!
I'm always checking out the other kids lunches at preschool but they are pretty funky, hawaiian people eat some wierd stuff, lots of spam and rice!!! ewww!
Post a Comment