Thursday, February 4, 2010

Fear Not, Part 2.

This morning I had the rather unfortunate opportunity to teach my kids about drugs.  Someone please explain to me why I have to teach my 2 and 4 year olds about drugs.  This is a conversation I envisioned having when they are much, much older.  I'm sure we'll have to revisit this but this is the first, which is always memorable.  And, in my opinion, it's way too early.

Without going into too much detail about someone else's life, let me assure you that everyone is fine.  This terrible thing happened to someone we know but I happened to get the news while the boys were helping me make pancakes this morning.  Which is how we came to talk about drugs.

I like to believe that people are inherently good but the sad fact is that there are bad people in this world.  How will I protect my children from these people?  How will I teach them good from bad?  How will I trust that even if they are making good choices, there are still bad people out there looking for trouble?? 

I can't do it on my own.  I have to trust that God is going to take care of all of us and that even if something bad does happen to my kids (***) it will be for the good of God.  He will use it somehow to make the whole better.

Do we get better with each generation?  Or do we make the same mistakes as our parents and grandparents? 

God says, "Fear not."  I'm going to need a little help with that...

No comments: